Movie Challenge: The Travel Edition
By: Ally Barnes
The world is almost your oyster. The blanket warning against overseas travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic has been lifted, with borders now open.
But if you’re not ready to travel, or your passport is no longer valid, we can always travel through film.
For this Travel Edition Movie Challenge, Russ Matthews from Reel Dialogue has compiled a list of films that showcase some of the coolest cities in the world.
(There are too many cities to mention them all, so here is a shortlist and Russ’ top three choices:
- New York City: Breakfast at Tiffany’s or When Harry Met Sally
- Salzburg: The Sound of Music
- Tokyo: Lost in Translation
- Rome: Roman Holiday
- Prague: Mission: Impossible
- Los Angeles: La La Land
- San Francisco: Mrs. Doubtfire or Bullitt
- Singapore: Crazy Rich Asians
- Chicago: Any John Hughes film, but most notably Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Mumbai: Slumdog Millionaire
- Rio De Janeiro: City of God
- Berlin: Wings of Desire
- Vienna: Before Sunrise
Top three movies that showcase cities:
1. Paris: Midnight in Paris (Netflix)
Synopsis: While on a trip to Paris with his fiancée’s family, a nostalgic screenwriter finds himself mysteriously going back to the 1920s every day at midnight.
2. Washington Heights, New York City: In The Heights (Apple)
Synopsis: A film version of the Broadway musical in which Usnavi, a sympathetic New York bodega owner, saves every penny every day as he imagines and sings about a better life.
3. Monaco: To Catch a Thief (Amazon Prime, Apple)
Synopsis: A retired jewel thief sets out to prove his innocence after being suspected of returning to his former occupation.
Get more great movie recommendations and reviews here.
Article supplied with thanks to Hope Media.